Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Kaiser/Perm cut me off from coverage HMO, after 35 years,

Customer Question

Kaiser/Perm cut me off from coverage HMO, after 35 years, saying I was out of their zip code 98648, I was OK for 35 years to take my $$$$, But, now at 76 years old, I am out of their ZIP code, 98648, goodbye,
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Just wondering after being with Kaiser/Perm for 35 years, they suddenly decided I was out of their ZIP CODE and no longer eligable for their coverage, goodbye, so long, i am now 76, is this legal/fair
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: i just did, twice
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have had medical insurence with Kaiser/Perm for 35-40 years, they suddenly say I am not in the proper Zip Code any-more, 98648, and Im gone, is this legal/fair? where do they expect me at 76 to go now??
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I raised hell, letters, phone calls, threats, the usual
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Where do I go from here?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 14 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

No, it is not legal. If it was okay to take your premium for 35 years when you were out of the zip code, they cannot all of sudden tell you that you are not covered because you are out of zip code. You need to file complaint against the company with your State's Department of Insurance/Insurance Commissioner for this unfair and deceptive act and practice.

You may also consider retaining the services of a local consumer Attorney to file lawsuit against the company for unfair and deceptive act and practice. Most consumer Attorneys would take a case on contingent fee basis. This means that the Attorneys may not charge upfront for their fees and would only get paid if they win the cases for the consumers. Even then most Courts award Attorney fees to prevailing consumers. So, you may not have to pay out of pocket to obtain a consumer Attorney to assist you with the case.

You can use the following sites to find local consumer Attorneys:

Consumeradvocates.org

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Goodluck with your case,