How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118809
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Well I just got a new car not even a month ago. I bought a

Customer Question

well I just got a new car not even a month ago. I bought a smelling product from a dollar store. when I put it in my car it smelled good, but the next morning it eat the plastic n now the buttons for the a.c. dosent work the lick of the product went into lines of the plastic. I want to no if that company can replace it completely.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: it's a 2018 Toyota c-hr
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a pic of it if it helps
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you used the product as instructed, then you need to start by taking your pictures and sending a letter to the manufacturer demanding they pay the cost of replacing the part their product broke. You need to get an estimate of the cost of repairs so you know how much to ask for. Under product liability law, they are strictly liable for all damage caused by their defective product and if they refuse to pay, you can file suit in small claims court against the manufacturer for the damage that their part caused your vehicle. In addition you need to tell them if they refuse to pay, you will file a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission and seek to get them to order a recall of their defective product.
If they refuse to pay, file a complaint with the CPSC ( and also go to small claims and file suit against them for the cost of the damage their product has caused.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.