How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6824
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a vehicle with a clean title from someone acted

Customer Question

I purchased a vehicle with a clean title from someone acted as a private owner but took me to a dealer for sale which was then disclosed as a dealer vehicle. Sale price was 11,200.00 but the dealer put down $8,000.00 on paper. I paid them $8,500.00 cash and gave $2,700.00 check to the individual and $672.93 check to the dealer in addition. Later I found out the car was salvaged and put a stop payment on my checks and requested for a refund. Dealer just sent me a certified letter stating he requests the funds to be paid within 10 days. Should I send a certified letter back to request refund states all the facts that took place including tax fraud and false advertisement or go straight to attorney general?
JA: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: Tennessee
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: 5/2/2017
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have all the details written. Let me send that to you
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I would go straight to the attorney general. However, you can not stop payment AND keep the car. That is theft and you can be charged criminally.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions