Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I purchased a vehicle with a clean title from someone acted

Customer Question

I purchased a vehicle with a clean title from someone acted as a private owner but took me to a dealer for sale which was then disclosed as a dealer vehicle. Sale price was 11,200.00 but the dealer put down $8,000.00 on paper. I paid them $8,500.00 cash and gave $2,700.00 check to the individual and $672.93 check to the dealer in addition. Later I found out the car was salvaged and put a stop payment on my checks and requested for a refund. Dealer just sent me a certified letter stating he requests the funds to be paid within 10 days. Should I send a certified letter back to request refund states all the facts that took place including tax fraud and false advertisement or go straight to attorney general?
JA: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: Tennessee
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: 5/2/2017
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have all the details written. Let me send that to you
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I would go straight to the attorney general. However, you can not stop payment AND keep the car. That is theft and you can be charged criminally.