Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Tine, is there a cost for this conversation? And how are the

Customer Question

Hi Tine, is there a cost for this conversation? JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Customer: And how are the charges assessed JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Customer: Colorado JA: Has anything been filed or reported? Customer: NO JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you? Customer: Im trying to get a beter idea of how much this will cost beyond the $5 JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to. Customer: okay. now what

I work for a limo company. She had a friend lend her a vehicle which got damaged while in her care. She got a written estimate from a repair shop of $1500. When the repair was done they said they needed $3500 and never called her to get any further approval. She doesn't have the money to pay the amount the repair people say is due. She is being told the repair company sent the vehicle to an Impound lot, where it is incurring daily storage fees. What should be done next?

State/Country relating to question: Colorado

Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
When a car repair shop gives a written estimate or verbal estimate, it is just that, an estimate. Many times once they get into making repairs they discover other damage that must be fixed to make proper repairs and have a legal obligation to do so even if they do not get authorization for doing so because it was discovered while making the other repairs.
Unfortunately, if they did the work, she is liable to pay for the work done or they do not have to release the car. So, if she does not pay they can keep the car and charge storage. If she borrowed this car, then she can be sued by the person she borrowed it from for the loss of the car and costs to get it back. So, legally she has to pay for this and has to get the car back and if the owner she borrowed it from can help and let her make payments to pay them back for what they have to pay, she should do so to avoid being sued.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.