Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

My car engine was destroyed by an incompetent auto repair

Customer Question

My car engine was destroyed by an incompetent auto repair shop and initially they agreed to pay for its repair but are baulking now at the cost of that. How do I initiate a suit in small claims court against them in the city of Memphis.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Tennessee, and the car is a 2002 Toyota Camry. It was running perfectly before my daughter took it in for an oil change.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. That is what I want to know how to do. My insurance company says that my policy does not cover damage done to the car by professionals.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really at this time.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Here is a link to the court with the court form, "statement of claim" that you would complete and file in the small claims court and then you would have the defendant served by a process server. Copy and paste the link to your browser, do not just click on it: http://18jc.alacourt.gov/smfaq.aspx#3
In court you need to have a mechanic come to court with you to testify as to how they caused the damage.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.