Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I have signed a 12 month contract with ATA martial arts

Customer Question

Hi, I have signed a 12 month contract with ATA martial arts academy and need advice on getting out of the contract
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: St. Louis, Missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, we began classes in Feb of this year and have been paying every month
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My 5yr old daughter and I are in India and due to visa issues we may not be able to get back to the US
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have attached the contract for reference
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 4 months ago.
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.Can cancel due to major relocation.If company refuses can threaten following: You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Kindly rate me five stars. Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They are asking for proof that my move is permanent. I will be in India till my husbands visa issue is sorted so would it still be considered as a relocation. Also can I stop paying the fees till this is sorted out?
Out of the country without any immediate plan for return would qualify! Good luck. Kindly rate me five stars. Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What documents would they require to verify if my move is legitimate
They may ask for the new address and confirmation of travel tickets. They may periodically check in.If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
supposse they let me out of the contract based on the move and my husbands visa issues are sorted in the next 3-4 months and I go back, what it create any problems
Will not. Once released its over. Get their agreement to release in writing.Please rate me 5 stars.