Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I purchased an Airstream RV in Oct 2016 which carries a 2

year warranty and I also...
I purchased an Airstream RV in Oct 2016 which carries a 2 year warranty and I also bought an extended warranty for 5 more years. I've had many issues with the RV, Three with 4X taking it back (80 miles each way) for the same issues. One of them has been the main door that has never closed properly since it's purchase. The dealer has tried to adjust the door 4X and it still does not close properly. Today they said that it's normal and that adjustments are only covered for 90 days. I responded and told them that it's a manufacturers defect, and that they chose to try to adjust it by bending it. There is also another issue where the counter aluminum trim rubs against the aluminum interior wall and has scratched the aluminum wall. This one they cannot figure out. It's been at the dealer since April 14, 2016 and is still there with the counter and door issues. The total cost was $52K. Since then, I've had to replace the batteries ($540) because of a faulty solar panel option installation by the dealer. The original Manufacturers Warranty expires Oct 2017. I bought it here in CA but in a different county, How do I pursue suing under the Lemon Law and what county, also what can I claim? The $52K plus transporting it to and from, other expenses such as batteries? Thanks Alex
Sorry, correction, purchased it in Oct of 2015.
6/10/2017
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

From what you posted, you would be able to sue under the lemon law if the problems you mentioned substantially impair the use, value or safety of the RV. If that is the case, you could sue under the lemon law, and you could also sue for breach of warranty. The lawsuit would name both the dealer and manufacturer. The defendant(s) could be ordered to return all money paid out of pocket, including the cost of the RV and any related repair expenses, including travel mileage to the dealer, etc, or could be ordered to give you a properly working replacement, usually at your election.

If you decide to pursue your legal remedies, you will need to find an attorney close to you that handles lemon law and warranty issues. A good referral source will be your County Bar Association. There should be no charge for the referral and no cost for the initial consultation with the attorney to whom you are referred. If that attorney takes the case, there should be no out of pocket fees or expenses to pay, either.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll continue to provide assistance. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

is the Attorney free of charge?
Do you know in what county I sue in, mine or theirs?

Under the California lemon law, the manufacturer pays all the attorney fees and costs, you don't.

You would sue in the county where the RV was purchased.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. I'm here to help.

If the answer provided sufficiently addressed your inquiry, please take a moment to rate the response, accordingly. Thank you.

Best,
Attorney 1

Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Attorney 1
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney