Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a car and have had to take it back 4 times within a…

Customer Question
I bought a car and...
I bought a car and have had to take it back 4 times within a month and a half. This is a lemon on the person in charge stated that this is not a lemon unless it has been back six or seven times and besides "he said" Kentucky does not have a lemon law. The salesperson posed this car as being very sound but it is not. They have charged almost $11,000 this not so very sound car. I do not want this car and I do not want to have to pay for a vehicle that I have to consistently take back. Also they said they were fixing it under a extended warranty and the last time I took it back they said it does not have a extended warranty. I'm confused. How can a extended warranty run out without notice.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
5/22/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

What year is the vehicle? How many miles does it have on it?

Also, do you have a copy of an extended warranty or does your purchase paperwork show one? If so, what are the terms?

it is a 2011 chevy impala. 41839 mileage. They did not provide me with a extended warranty. After I took my car to the garage that they sent the car to, they told me I had a $100 deductible for the extended warranty. That is the first I had heard of the extended warranty. They have called me back 3 times to sign papers. The second time I signed more papers, but they called me back a third time and I will absolutely not sign another piece of paper for this company.

Thank you.

The Kentucky Lemon Law unfortunately does not cover used cars. It only covers problems that arise within 12 months after a vehicle is originally sold, or 12,000 miles, whichever happens sooner. That means the dealer is not required to repair or replace the car for you.

If you bought an extended warranty with the car, then they'd have to do the repairs. But you can't be forced to buy a warranty after the fact, and you're not required to take the car to them for repairs if you don't have a warranty. If you did have one, you should have a copy. You can ask them to provide you with a copy of the warranty they claim has expired.

There's no reason for you to sign anything else for this company. You can take the car elsewhere. But I'm sorry to say, there is no right to return the car in this situation. The sale of a used car is as-is. It's up to the consumer to have the car checked out by a mechanic before agreeing to the sale. They're not liable for general statements that the car is in good condition unless they gave specific examples of things that had been repaired/examined and that turned out to be untrue.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

You go ahead and take the other $31, but when I looked up this site it was suppose to be free legal advice. This is not free and I will not recommend this site to anyone else. That's being as dishonest as this car lot we are talking about.

If you have any issues with the site, please contact customer service. I have no control over advertising, and I would certainly never tell anyone that this is a free site. Like most people, I expect to be paid for the work I do.

Have a good day.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer