RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Does a US citizen visiting Ghana have to pay a BTA to come

Customer Question

Does a US citizen visiting Ghana have to pay a BTA to come back home to the USA?
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: No
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: Does a US citizen who's visited Ghana have to pay it BTA in order to come back to the USA?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

No, there is no such requirement. This is a common ploy of scammers from Ghana (and elsewhere, but normally places like Ghana and Nigeria is where I've seen it) where a person -usually someone you meet on a dating site --will tell you that they have to show a specific amount of money in their bank account or must pay this BTA to come back into the country. It is NOT a requirement, the State Department actually used to warn about this. It's an attempt to steal money from unsuspecting people. Please do not fall for it!

If you require any additional information or clarification, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING and I'll be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, if you have no additional questions, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Thank you.