RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I live in Memphis, tn. I would like to know if I need an

Customer Question

I live in Memphis, tn. I would like to know if I need an attorney to file a civil lawsuit against a moving company who stole thousands of dollars of items from me?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: tennessee
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: the owner has filed a lawsuit against me for not paying his moving fees and took my $22,000 artwork as collateral, even though over $25,000 of my personal items are missing.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, he liked about the cost of moving me. We agreed on $1150.00. When it came time to pay him he said that I owed him $2400. I never agreed to that.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

No, there's no legal requirement that you have an attorney represent you. An attorney is obviously going to be more familiar with the law and know which legal issues to raise, how to properly draft a complaint, etc., but if you wish to represent yourself, that is your right.

Since you have been sued, you could answer the lawsuit, raise any affirmative defenses you may have, and file a counter-claim against him all under the one suit.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed?

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars so I am credited for my time and assistance. This costs you nothing extra.​ Thank you!