How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 19307
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a car around the end of march ( it was a private

Customer Question

Hello I bought a car around the end of march ( it was a private deal) the gentlemen I bought the car from gave me all the paperwork. the title, receipt and this piece of paper called " reassignment of "Certificate of Ownership by Licensed New Jersey Dealer" on this paper called the reassignment certificate I put down my mothers name as the name for which the cars title would be under. I then changed my mind and wanted to put it under my name instead. So I go to DMV and they tell me I need a new paper with my name on it. I then tell the gentlemen that I bought the car from that I needed a new reassignment paper and he says no problem there is a charge of $100 . I tell him ill pay the fee. He then calls me two days later to tell me that the dealer's license in NJ expired and we have to wait for him to get reinstated and it takes about a month or two. I call him today and ask what the deal is and he says in a fresh tone " oh from what i heard the guys not doing it anymore he moved to Arizona or something"
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Basically, I need another reassignment paper and I don't know where or who to get it from because this guy isn't being helpful at all. Is there any legal recourse I can take ?
JA: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Im in New York ( long island ) and i bought the car in long island but the receipt and reassignment paper say new Jersey
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no I had the car insured for about 5 days maybe but since i couldn't register the car i had to take the insurance off since its been sitting in my drive way
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that is all
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your option here would be to register the car in your mother's name just like you initially wanted to them. Then, afterwards, your mother can transfer the car to you. Since the Seller gave you proper paperwork to register the car in the beginning, the Seller is under no legal obligation to redo the paperwork to accommodate your latest request. So, you do not have any legal recourse against the Seller. Had it been that the Seller did not provide you with the proper paperwork in the beginning and then refuses to issue the papers to you, you would have a case against the Seller. However, in the current situation, you do not.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions