Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

Am I financially liable or is this fraud? I was in a

Customer Question

Am I financially liable or is this fraud?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I was in a physical rehab facility while I recovered from hip replacement surgery. Because the therPists didn't read the doctor's order, I suffered a broken femur and had to have revision surgery. I don't know that to be the only reason but putting me on a bicycle for 10 minutes was certainly not ordered This is in
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: Virginia. . The administration asked me through my DIL and daughter if I would like to leave my things in the room till I returned from surgery. I said yes . I am now charged $858 for reserving the room for 4 days. The administration did not ask
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: wait i am slow. There was no mention of a reservation or a per diene rate. Do I have to pay, is this a legal obligation
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

It is not fraud, but it could be professional malpractice if the therapist did not follow the doctor's orders or the doctor ordered the wrong therapy for the condition from which you were recovering.

You would have a claim for professional negligence if either of those things were the case.

If you need assistance finding local counsel to press the claim, try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am online
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not see the answer to my question about liability.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am I liable for $800 because they allowed me to leave my things in the room?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

It is a legal obligation if the use was approved, but the rehab facility would be liable if it was connected to their malpractice.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did you even read what I wrote? I did make a contract with the admin, I received their message 3rd hand.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Are you seeing all my responses?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I saw it was a legal obligation on my part even the admin offered the room with ni mention of a reservation or a per diem rate.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

They should have let you know there was a charge for the room. If they did not you may have grounds to challenge this as a legal contract, since the essential element of price was not included.