Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a question about the lemon aid law in Massachusetts.

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about the lemon aid law in Massachusetts. does this law pertain to a consumer trading in a vehicle to a dealer? Do I have to disclose any problems with a vehicle when I am trading in to a dealer?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

In Massachusetts, it a 2008 Porsche Cayenne turbo with 63 100 miles

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We made a deal, I have a purchase and sales agreement signed by the dealership and I have the vehicle from him. The next day he wanted his vehicle back

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He said I frauded him. Will the lawyer know Massachusetts lemon aid law?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
5/15/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
MA has one of the strongest consumer protection laws in the US, but they apply to businesses and not private parties.
However, when trading a vehicle you must make full disclosure of any and all known defects, because failure to do so can cause the dealership to actually sue you for not disclosing them, which is a violation of the MA laws as well as breach of the common law warranty of fitness/good faith and fair dealing and the implied warranty of merchantability. Thus, if the dealer discovers later that you knew of the defects, then they can sue you for failure to disclose them.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.