Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I bought a motorcycle 2 years ago in Massachusetts and I

Customer Question
Hello I bought a motorcycle...
Hello I bought a motorcycle 2 years ago in Massachusetts and I live in Maine. When I paid it off last year I received a mass title that the dealer reassigned ownership to me. I never got a Maine title
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i sold the bike last week he has the bike and bill of sale and I have the cash. Because I don't have a Maine title they are saying it is not legal to sell it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Bank called and want the money back and the buyer said come pick up the bike cause they don't want it. I said I would do whatever I needed to get this resolved. I called state police who said I was fine just a small glitch but motor vehicles says I need a mIne title to sell it in Maine. Now I'm really confused, is this sale legal or do I have to go get it? If I have to go get it can I charge for delivery and pickup?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Maine and its a 2008
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/11/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.

I'm sorry to her about your situation. The bot***** *****ne in your situation is that it is not illegal to sell it with a Massachusetts title. The sale is completely legal. What will happen is that by selling the vehicle, you are transferring title to the new owner. So, the new owner needs to fill out title documents that transfer the title from you to him. The fact that it is titled in another state does not matter. I would not recommend going to pick up the bike because the sale was legal. What is happening is that the other parties are trying to breach the contract.

There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here).

Follow up questions are free so did you have any additional questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?

If it's not legal to sell it with a Massachusetts title how can the sale be legal? The bank told me if I don't bring them the money back they are calling the police on me.

Maybe I'm confused. Selling your vehicle with a valid Massachusetts title in Maine is not illegal.

In fact, it would violate the Privileges and Immunities Clause of the Constitution for one state to prohibit the sale of a motor vehicle in another state. As such, you may be receiving bad information from the buyer and from the bank as well regarding this. It is up to the buyer to switch the title to his name in the state he is driving the vehicle.

Did either the bank or buyer point you to a law or statute? Or did they simply tell you this?

The Massachusetts title is not printed in my name the dealer onl re-assigned ownership to me.

I see what you mean. Have you called the original dealer and asked them work with the MA DMV to issue a new and correct title?

They told me that according to motor vehicles I can't legally sell a vehicle that is not titled to me....printed on the front. What I received was a title printed to someone else that the dealer reassigned to me on the back.
I called them and they said it was an error and she is sorry. But when we purchased it they filled out the Maine title application but never filed it.

Gotcha. It makes a ton more sense now. This may require a bit more effort on your end to get the dealer to work with the DMV to assign proper title to you. There are a couple of options that you could have as well.

1. You could get the dealer to sign an affidavit stating that this was their error. An affidavit is just a sworn statement. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good templates (click here). They could send you and the DMV in MA a copy explaining the error. The affidavit should also state that you were the owner of the vehicle.

2. You can contact the MA DMV yourself and explain that this title was issued to you in error and you need a new one printed

3. You can send a copy of the new one that the MA DMV gives you and send it to the ME DMV so they can file it in their records. You should attach that original affidavit from the dealer.

These options can help you fight any claim that you fraudulently sold the vehicle as it goes through the proper channels and relieves you of liability.

I have offered to pay for an expedited title in Maine and I even re-registered the bike and kept insurance on it so they could ride it while waiting for the title they still say the sale isn't legal and I have to come get or they will have it towed at my expense. The bank did a stop payment on the check and want the money back by tomorrow at the very latest. What do I do? I can't afford a court battle

This one is very tough, but I think if you follow the recommendations I provided above, you can continue on with the process. I think you're being more than fair in this situation, but it is clear that they are wanting better proof. Perhaps you could stipulate (agree) with the other party that once this matter is cleared up, you will resume the sale of the bike. If you can't get it cleared up, let's say in 180 days, then the deal is off.

Did you have any follow up questions?

I have offered all of that and they said they do not want the bike or to do business with me ever. They purchased the bike without even seeing it, when I delivered it last Thursday I had to tell him how to ride it. State trooper sales legal sale but since motor vehicles says I can't legally sell without a title printed in my name and I can't afford an attorney I'm going to have to do what they say unfortunately. If I go get the bike and return the cash can I charge a delivery and pickup fee at the going tow rate?

Good question. If it wasn't written into your agreement to sell the vehicle, then there is no legal right to do so. However, you can always negotiate this with the buyer because of the extreme hardship it is putting on you to make this happen. You could agree to a) split the cost of pickup and tow or b) be reimbursed over time. You could offer to provide them receipts or other things to make it fair and objective. But I don't believe that this is an unreasonable ask under the circumstances.

Ok thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the screen you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer