Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

Bought new truck in Tulsa, with plans to drive to Alaska for

Customer Question
registration and license, now has...
bought new truck in Tulsa, with plans to drive to Alaska for registration and license, now has a 30 day temporary permit (with 14 days left). we have done before out of Montana. they called to say the put the wrong vin number on the contract, so we have a truck that we cannot register and license now. 3000 miles to get to Alaska. they did offer to drive to us in Tulsa but not to fly to Alaska to get new contract signed. what are the obligations to pay on a contract of a truck we do not have?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: what is your answer?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: Alaska, purchase date April 29th, 2017
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I do not understand the question
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are just very concerned that we will have a truck which we cannot drive in 2 weeks
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
The dealership said to license and register the vehicle in Alaska was to present the copies they gave. But they did not give a "new car Sales Title" required to get it done in Alaska. They lied and did not give a title, which still would have had the wrong vin number. All parties knew the plans to drive to Alaska. Now they want to send a packet to have new contract signed and then send the new car sales Title LATER to address in Tulsa. This will take over 2 weeks, at which time the truck will not have a license to drive it. Do not want to sign a new contract then wait for new car sales title for added waiting time!!
5/11/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Attorney 1, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with this frustrating situation. This is the dealer's mistake and thus the dealer's obligation to cure in a reasonable amount of time. If you need a new contract, it should be signed on their end, then forwarded to you to for signature, via overnight mail at the dealer's expense. Then you will immediately have a working copy in hand and the next day the dealer will have the contract and be able to send title, again through overnight mail, to an address you determine - not Tulsa if you are not there. Everything should be done through overnight mail with tracking. If getting things to you in a timely manner means the dealer send a representative or messenger service to get outside documents obtained and forwarded, so be it. It is the dealer's legal obligation to do so or it will incur additional liability.

If the dealer refuses or is unable to complete this process, the dealer is liable to you for all reasonable costs incurred as a result of its mistake, including otherwise unnecessary travel expenses, additional hotel expenses, or whatever other foreseeable costs were incurred as a result of its failure to get things right the first time.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll continue to provide assistance. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

wife sending email: My husband is with the truck out in the bush in Alaska. He will have to drive 5-6 hours to Anchorage,Alaska to have access to the services needed for receiving and sending to correct paperwork. The truck was purchased through Chrysler Financial after a large deposit. The Financial guy who called was unfriendly, said we had to work it out with dealership, talked like he did not believe truck& my husband in Alaska, nor that dealership did or said anything wrong and dumped the entire problem on us. How do you suggest we inform them, financial and dealership people of your advise to make them resend to Alaska?

You could contact the dealership that is attempting to work with you and advise them, in writing if necessary (email counts as a writing) of where to send the documents. You can have them contact the financial group, as well. The dealer will have a relationship with the financial group, so that should do the trick, especially since the dealer understands the problem and acknowledges the mistake.

I'm sorry your husband has to drive such a distance for access to the services necessary to make all this work. The reason the dealer is responsible for the additional cost of gas and lodging, if reasonably necessary, is because the dealer knew of the plan and acted accordingly in the process of the sale. That puts them on the hook for all of these otherwise odd expenses.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. I'm here to help.

If the answer provided sufficiently addressed your inquiry, please take a moment to rate the response, accordingly. Thank you.

Best,
Attorney 1

PS - If your husband is near another mail delivery location, he does not need to drive to Anchorage. He just needs to be able to send/receive mail or FedEx deliveries. The service goes pretty much everywhere and can bring you the supplies to send, or you can send via email/fax.

Curious - How does someone drive from Oklahoma to Alaska?

Up across Northwestern USA and then you cross Canada, BC across the Yukon and re-enter Alaska, USA

That's quite an adventure!

Best,
Attorney 1

Attorney 1
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney