Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
16823287

I have question about a situation I was put in that's

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: I have question about a situation I was put in that's dealing with the online payment service Paypal.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: PA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, that's why I'm asking.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

*Can you please give us more background information so we can better assist you?

*Can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?

*What have you tried on this front so far?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My PayPal account was frozen two days ago due to the fact that I was "underage" when I created an account. I am no longer underage (18) and they are holding my money for 180 days. It's a lot of money in the account and I cannot transfer it out due to the fact I voided their User Agreement. If they are referring to their user agreement for justification for holding my funds, wouldn't the whole User Agreement be void since I was underage? I read online that this can fall into the category of "Abuse of Power." PayPal is not a bank, but they are holding the money due to the "Non Fraudulent" violation. They are concerned that a customer could "chargeback" resulting them to lose money. All I want to do is transfer my funds into my bank account and avoid PayPal. Do I have a case here?
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Normally, it would not be void, but rather voidable at YOUR option since you were under age at the time and thus could not effectively give consent. However, if you used the account for some time after you became of age, then even you may be estopped from arguing that the agreement is void. Here is a copy of the service agreement. Section 6.1 lists the restricted activities and one of them is breaching the agreement and another is "Provide false, inaccurate or misleading Information". The intro to the agreement states that:

We may close, suspend, or limit your access to your Account or our Services, and/or limit access to your funds for up to 180 days if you carry out any Restricted Activities (as further set out in clause 6).

1.7 Eligibility. To be eligible for our Services, you must be at least 18 years old and a resident of one of the countries listed on the PayPal Worldwide page.

So, when you accepted the terms and conditions while under age, you misrepresented your eligibility to be a user.

If you used the account after you turned 18, then you do not have a case here and should just wait till the 180 period is over to get your money.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are paying for a professional and honest answer.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

P.S. Please remember to assign a positive feedback rating on this so that Just Answer will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

P.S. Please remember to assign a positive feedback rating on this so that Just Answer will compensate me for this answer.