insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years
17027240

I brought my Rolex watch to a jeweler for repair. He sent it

Customer Question

I brought my Rolex watch to a jeweler for repair. He sent it to NYC for the repair and has not returned it but keeps saying "I'll have it in two weeks". There was a dispute with my jeweler and the jeweler in NYC over another matter and now the jeweler in New York is holding my watch hostage. What is my recourse?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, the jeweler I initially brought my watch to is a friend and I've given him way,way too much leeway in this mater. Thank you
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 5 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

You'll want to raise the stakes on him. Send him a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history and demand he return your watch within a short specified period of time. Inform him that if he does not timely comply with your demand, you will have no choice but to file a suit for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that if forced to file the suit, you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as fraud and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, he will settle this without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the judgments being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!