How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6842
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Where do we get help about a leased car that has been in the

Customer Question

Where do we get help about a leased car that has been in the shop almost every month since we owned it. The check engine light keeps coming on and they say they cannot figure it out. They have had the car in the shop for days at a time. Just in the past week this car has been in the shop for Wednesday, Thursday, we picked it back up Friday beacause we needed it for the weekend and now it has been there Sunday,and Monday with no known time when we will get it back.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: We live in Vermont. It is a 2017 Ford Escape.
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: Yes. They said they cannot give us legal advise.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am not sure at this point what to ask.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

You may qualify under the so-called Lemon Law and be entitled to a repurchase or replacement from the manufacturer (not the dealer) if:

1. three or more repair attempts and the problem continues to exist; OR

2. the car is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of 15 days or more (although unavailability of parts may extend this time).

Once that happens, you need to contact the manufacturer's customer service division (NOT the dealer) to apply for arbitration. You will find the number in you owner's manual.

They say the process can take around 10 days for a decision, but my experience has been that it will be closer to a month. There are attorneys who handle these types of claims, but you can do it yourself, at least to start.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!