Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I contracted for a company that sold used vehicles.

Customer Question

I contracted for a company that sold used vehicles. Approximately 1200 a month through several locations. They posted on the wall that the consumer did not have to buy an extended warranty and then trained their sales people to tell the consumer that if they didn't by the warranty they would not be able to get the contract financed. Thus forcing the customer to buy their extended service contract. They had a 98% penetration of warranty sells. The owner of the dealerships owned the warranty company.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: This is in the state of California and the vehicles range from 4 years old to current year and used.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I made comments to the owner stating this was not a good practise as I have been a controller in the automotive industry for 20 years. He just shook his head.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The warranties were mostly 24 months 24000 miles and covered very little.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a California attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! What specific questions do you have? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. By no means are you required to accept it.