Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs exp with Consumer Law issues
19127644

I'm seeking certain information from Amazon, regarding to

Customer Question

Hi, I'm seeking certain information from Amazon, regarding to how their pricing system work, since the price in customers cart can be changed at any moment without notice, I want to know whether Amazon systemetically scan consumer cart in order to adjust price towards customer disadvantage. Is there a such thing like the FOIA that work on corporate such as Amazon?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Amazon.com
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. No, a corporation's records are not subject to public record laws such as FOIA. You can obtain their public corporate filings through the SEC, which they likely have online under their investor links. However, that is not likely to give you the proprietary information about how they price their items. Nothing short of filing a lawsuit against them and then taking depositions and discovery will get the information that you are seeking. If a consumer has some evidence of a violation of consumer protection laws, they could file a complaint with the State consumer protection agency or the Federal Trade Commission, and those agencies could investigate the issue. They would not necessarily, though, share the information they find. They would just take action against the corporation or not.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to let me know I covered the question that you had and also to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page regarding my assistance, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Public filing doesn't seem to have the mechanism of how their pricing change work. Well, finding hard evidence whether Amazon do purposely raise pricing base on consumer item in cart won't be easy as such mechanism is probably highly guarded. The reason i raise such question is due to the fact I had some items in cart and it was late so I decided to continue shopping the site and pay the next day, well you guess it.. the item price have rose about 20 percent higher. Now, if Amazon do have such system that scanned custoner cart and raising price before they hit the final payment. Is such practice legal? Kind like shopping at local grocery store, right before checkout, the clerk annouce your item have been price hiked, since you already spend the time and pick compare the product, if the raise isnt too high, Im sure most consuner will just accept the rate hike instead go through trouble and time look elsewhere.

That is what the FTC and State consumer protection agencies are charged with looking into. So, you may want to follow that process first before thinking of filing suit.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the question have been submited via FTC (Reference #83695241). However, if FTC respond back with saying Amazons such practice is legal doing. I suppose next time you and I shop online or at local stores, we might experience a without notice price hike right before checkout. The world we live in.. how beautiful =]

Hopefully, there is nothing nefarious going on with Amazon. But, in my experience, if you can give them some good examples of what actually happened to you (time, items, orig amounts, when they changed and how much), and perhaps screen shots, the FTC will ensure that the Company gives them a satisfactory answer or they will come in a audit their system.

If I have answered your questions, then if you can please leave a positive rating. Otherwise, the Site will not give me credit for working with you, as they do not do so automatically upon my answering your question.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any furthers follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 10th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not received your rating.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even, if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.