Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
16823287

I was just turned down by an insuance company for 2 reasons:

Customer Question

JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: 1) I am being tested for a condition that I had in 2012 (a back ache) that resulted in a ruptured colon and emergency surgery. I am beginning to experience the same symptoms after a 5 year period of complete remission. Would this be considered a pre- existing condition under HIPPA? I am in Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: 2) The rejection letter referred to a prescription I took 1n 2012(?) that was prescribed by the emergency room when I was experiencing this pain as a reason to reject my application. I have not taken those pain killers since.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), group health plans are prohibited from imposing any preexisting condition exclusion. Under this protection, a plan generally cannot limit or deny benefits relating to a health condition that was present before your enrollment date in the plan. However, a plan may exclude coverage for injuries that do not result from a medical condition or from domestic violence. So, for example, a plan generally can exclude coverage for back injuries in connection with an activity like snow skiing. SO, the answer depends on the source of your back ache in 2012.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will pay me. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The back ache was never explained to me and disappeared after surgery. There was no injury then or now.
What about the prescription drug excuse?
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

They are probably wanting to argue that the Rx drug was related to a back injury. But if there is no proof of an injury then that argument should also fail.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

P.S. Please remember to assign a positive feedback rating on this so that Just Answer will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.