Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I live in Florida and I would like to ask what can I do in…

Customer Question
Hello, My name is***** live in...
My name is***** live in Florida and I would like to ask what can I do in the situation when I hired a contractor to remodel our unit but didn't sign the contract. It was an oral contract for $22k. All the permits were supposed to be opened by that person and that is why we didn't worry about. The permits were opened and then we discovered that the other person opened those permits for the contractor we hired. The contractor is now fired but the permits are not closed and we have already paid the full amount we agreed about which is $22k. He doesn't want to give us the money back and we end up paying more and more money to finish all the job. What can be done in this situation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and my goal is to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Is the contractor giving a reason for not returning your money?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he is saying that he doesn't have money at the moment
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know that I can report a licensed contractor to DBPR and notify them about unlicensed activity. But I need to know if that will help me in any way.

Thank you for the additional information.

The DBPR may take administrative action, but it is unlikely to get your money back.

He is in breach of his agreement and may have also committed fraud. You need to file suit to get a judgment. Once you have a judgment you can levy his property and garnish his accounts until the judgment is satisfied. If you prevail on the fraud count you may also be awarded punitive damages and your attorney fees.

You can proceed pro se, but it is strongly recommended that you retain an attorney to represent you in court.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Also, The Florida Bar maintains an excellent online referral program: https://www.floridabar.org/divpgm/lronline.nsf/wreferral6?OpenForm

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Loren, Lawyer