Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Auto and title was stolen, theft by check, thief borrowed

Customer Question

Auto and title was stolen, theft by check, thief borrowed money against title before police recovered the car for me. I still need to sell the car but i have a replacement title that DMV issued me after police recovered car but DMV shows a lien on the title as well as car being titled to the thiefs name. How do i get it changed back to my mane with clear title?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Why did the Police not charge with her theft?

At this point, you would need to file lawsuit against her at your local Courthouse and have the Court issue an Order that the vehicle belongs to you free and clear of all liens. You can then use this Order to get the title back in your name..

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In the same county the incident occurred in right??
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The police did charge her with theft, but recently she was out and about to commit a similar crime with a used car dealer and i told him about her and the police picked her up again
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do i need a lawyer to represent me to get charges filed

Response 1: The lawsuit would be filed at the Courthouse in the County where she lives or where the vehicle was stolen in.

Response 2: I presume you mean the lawsuit since you have already filed complaint with the Police. You do not need an Attorney to file the lawsuit. You can obtain complaint form at the local Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can i ask another question on this car issue?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could we just file a theft claim on insurance policy and if they pay just turn the car over to them or the repo guy looking for it?

You can do that: file a claim with your insurance company.

A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive proper credit for responding to your post. Kindly use the popup screen to give the rating. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating. . Positive rating is how I get paid for answering questions on the site.

Thank you for your cooperation.