Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I have a contract with Verizon Wireless it is unlimited data

Customer Question
with them. I got this...
I have a contract with Verizon Wireless it is unlimited data with them. I got this contract around 2007. They've tried to take this away from me before and I stood my ground with him based on the grandfather clause. I spent 3 years buying my new phones out of pocket to keep losing the grandfather clause. Them themselves pointed out to me if I was to upgrade my phone I would lose my grandfather clause and therefore lose my unlimited data plan. I just got another notice 2 days ago in the mail a little different from the first one the only difference being that they now offer any data that is not used will be rolled forward to the next month. The way I got out of it last time what I spent roughly two hours on the phone with them. They told me all my stories you know to the b**** they give us. I told them that they needed to stop and listen to me very clearly that everything they were saying to get me off the plan was exact same stuff they were telling me in 2007 why I should buy my service to them. I told him description of the title of my contract says it all. Unlimited DATA! Says it all. They are trying to turn it around that now I am misusing my plan. I am 54 years old with a blood disease could not get out of bed and where I live is out in the mountain. This is my only way of having any kind of TV.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Washington State. And I know the grandfather clause a very well and for four years or more Verizon customer service are the ones to point out that I have a grandfather clause and to keep it I must do this or that. Verizon even created an edge program allowing me and other customers to purchase any phone without affecting my data plan.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I've been paying attention to the internet 4/3 years. Verizon is Ben slowly squeezing things out. The only thing left people with the grandfather clause. So there is a lot of information on the internet and I'm just waiting 2 C SI group lawsuit starts.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I figure there's a good chance they are aware of it of some sort. And since I live in a small town with no lawyers fat fit hat class. What is love the put my name on it.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 day by:
1/10/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: David Stewart, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
David Stewart

Hello: my name is ***** ***** I will see if I can assist you today with your issue with Verizon. I performed some research and do not see any open lawsuits against Verizon on this issue but there may well be some that develop in the future. However, I believe based on your write up that you have done a very good job at keeping your unlimited plan intact through a lot of persistence. The Verizon contract allows them to revise the terms of your agreement at any time with notice to you. I am providing a link to the customer agreement here for your consideration. https://www.verizonwireless.com/legal/notices/customer-agreement/

It seems like Verizon is respecting your wishes as a customer to maintain your contract but trying to get you to switch plans to be more in line with the rest of its customer base. The agreement does not require Verizon to do this so I would suggest holding on as long as possible to your deal and when the time comes you need to make a change possibly look into satellite internet at home if it is cheaper than getting the data through Verizon. With all of that said, you have been a long term customer with an expectation that if you pay your bill they will continue providing you the agreed to service under the agreed to terms and until that changes you should continue to ride the wave and not rock the boat. Good luck with everything and I wish you all the best!

Sorry it took so long for someone to respond to you. If you have any follow up I will get on it much faster to get your questions addressed. David

David Stewart
David Stewart
David Stewart, Lawyer