Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I hired a furniture repair and upholstery company after

Customer Question
having interviewed about 6 companies...
I hired a furniture repair and upholstery company after having interviewed about 6 companies. The company name is ahm. The repairs were on my Mother's dining room set. She had just died and left it to me. It is an antique Duncan Fife set and a great deal of meaning to me. The repairs were to take 2-3 weeks. By 5 weeks, the owner said it was ready to be delivered. One man came accompanied by a small boy (10 y/o). He did not have a dolly. Instead he put the table, (6) 6 hairs, and credenza on a blanket on the ground and drug the pieces up and into the house. There were problems in that the job was not complete. The refinishing on the buffet and chairs were done in my home that night. There were scratches on the table top that he had to fix. When finished, he wanted the money(1435.00) in cash, check, or with a credit card number. I did not know this man. He told me he was a contact worker with ahm. I was not about to give a blank check s he didn't know how much I owed, or a credit card number that could be used for anything/everything. Nor was I going to give him a blank check. I told him I would give the owner Adam the money the next day. This man became hysterical and started to scream "who is going to feed my kids? Whoi
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: continued: Who is going to pay me Friday? He really scared me and ended up leaving. Shortly after that my phone began to ring and ring. According to caller ID, it was this man AND the boss Adam AND an office girl. This was late in the evening and there were 27 calls that did not stop until 2:00 AM. They resumed the next morning and the day after that. During this time I called the police. They advised me to be vigilant for any cars or trucks nearby and they would drive by frequently. At this time I was so fed up the disorganization in the company, and lack of quality in their work, that I immediately sent a check for the agreed upon amount to Adam even though the work was not completed. The chairs had areas that were not touched up and the had NOT been glued to stableize them. The credenza's finish on top appeared "bubbled." The talbe had an area visible different that the surrounding areas. The leaves which I sent with the table had not been touched so that their finish is different that the rest of the table. I communicated all of the areas that were unfinished to the owner. Additionally, he sent a man out to access the furniture and what was still needed. I then received an email that Adam was increasing the price for the chairs touch up and upholstery plus foam from $85 per chair as initially agreed to $150 per chair! I have never asked for any type of upgrade or agreed to an increase in price that is being done unilateraly by Adam. I think this must be illegal. He also wants to refund to me $300 out of what I paid him and not complete the work he agreed to do. Frankly, I never was to see him again. And I am not giving him another penny. The problem is that if he gives me the $300, it will not begin to be enough to pay another company to finish the work on the dining set. Please advise.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported? PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing filed except police report the night and days of harassing phone calls. No.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
1/8/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Infolawyer, Lawyer