Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I recently sold my car to a certified dealer and have a copy

Customer Question

Hi there,I recently sold my car to a certified dealer and have a copy of the bill of sale and check that they gave me to encash. I had only recently moved to texas and did not know that I needed to file a Vehicle Transfer Notification. The moment I found out I electronically submitted it but I was a couple of weeks late.The Texas DMV states whats below. IA dealer is not required to title in the dealership’s name if you sell or trade-in your vehicle to a licensed motor vehicle dealer. The vehicle stays in your name until it is sold to an individual, which may take months or some cases, years. To protect yourself, file a Vehicle Transfer Notification. When a vehicle transfer notification is received, TxDMV updates the motor vehicle record to show the vehicle as sold. When you file the notification within 30 days from the date of sale, you cannot be held responsible for parking tickets and toll violations that have been committed by the person who purchased the vehicle.YOU MUST SUBMIT THE VEHICLE TRANSFER NOTIFICATION WITHIN 30 DAYS TO REMOVE LIABILITYIf you submit a transfer notification within 30 days of sale, the buyer shown becomes the vehicle's presumed owner and may be subject to criminal or civil liability for parking tickets, toll violations, fines or other penalties that occur after the date of sale.I am afraid now and want to make sure that I will removed from all liability from this car. Please advise.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

If you have filed the Transfer Notification properly, you would be removed further liability.

What the provision that you posted is implying is that if tickets have been received during the time that you did not file the Transfer Notification, you would be responsible for the tickets.