AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
93913325

Second opinion] I filed property claim to insurance company

Customer Question

Second opinion] I filed property claim to insurance company for wind and hail damage they do not want to pay me for emergency service . what is the law how much time they have to pay me ? i have invoices from contractor , he did excellent job and still he is not been pay 10 months
please advice
second my policy is RCV 1 MIL limit are they obligated to cover loss with Law Ordinance I mean City code . i m from Chicago Illinois
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 7 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

When you say "emergency services" which is what the insurance company is denying, what exactly was provided as the emergency services?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
board up , tarps on roof

Thank you for that clarification. Normally the insurance company should pay for those emergency services. Most insurance contracts/policies you have will be a bit different from company to company. You see, the insurance policy you have is like a contract you have with the insurance company, and the different insurance companies write their policies a little differently. Most likely though, because normally hail and wind damage is covered, the emergency services related thereto would be covered as well. Therefore, they probably should not be denying the claim. You will need to ask them why they are not covering the emergency charges. If they cannot show you a provision in your insurance policy that shows why they are not covering the charge, then they are under an obligation to pay you. If they do not pay you, you would have to sue them. The statute of limitations in Illinois for suing your insurance company for breach of contract is 10 years. However, most insurance companies will insert a provision in your policy that drastically shortens that time period. You will need to comb through your policy to ensure that you have found that provision, if it is in there, because, most likely, it is in there somewhere. Does this make sense?