How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 26805
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had an accident 4/2016, i had no insurance, my drivers

Customer Question

I had an accident 4/2016, i had no insurance, my drivers license is being block by the insurance company from renewal...I am unemployed and can not get a job without my drivers license....what can i do to get my license so I can get a job....I was job hunting the day of the accident. please help me
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: louisiana
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: i was ticketed and cause the other driver to hit me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the officer said I was at fault...I paid the fines...but when I went to renew my driver license the DMV was told I could not renew my license until I pay over 16,000 for property damage and bodily injury is still pending so they will not allow me to get my license until that is complete. I have had 3 job interviews that has rejected me because I do not have drivers license.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

If you were driving without insurance you're going to need to get SR-22 insurance in order to be able to get your license reinstated. You are now a high risk driver having had an accident while you were driving without insurance.

The DMV can also require that you pay for the property damage and bodily injury you caused, for which you would have been insured before they will let you renew your license. You should hire a local lawyer to see whether or not he could get you a hardship license so that you could work before the debt is paid off.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions