insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years
17027240

I was called and told I was a winner and in order for my

Customer Question

I was called and told I was a winner and in order for my winnings to ereleased I needed to send a service fee to a person which amounted to 1% of my winnings. They were also paying off my credit card bills and returning the amt I sent back into my credit card account. Is this legit or a scam?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Fl. I was told I was one of 3 winners
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: I don' t know who the manufacturer is. The person I have talked too said he was with American Awards Co
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My bank thinks this is a scam and I am confused because this person is paying many of our CC debts and reimburses us the fee that we send, but we don't know if his checks are good etc
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 8 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Unfortunately, this is a scam. Hopefully, you have not sent them any money yet! These facts mirror identically an ongoing scam. Here's the thing that will confirm that it's a scam for you. You should never send them any money up front or provide them any information about your bank accounts. If they want you to pay them anything to get your money, it's a scam. If there is in fact money that you won, they can easily simply deduct any expenses, taxes, fees, etc., from the money. if they tell you this is not possible, it's because there is in fact no money from which to deduct these costs. There are no sets of circumstances where if there truly is money for you that you should have to do anything but receive your money net of any expenses. If they tell you otherwise, all that tells you is there is no money waiting for you and you are being scammed.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I know this is not what you wanted to hear and I wish I could tell you this is legitimate, but, I can only provide you information based on the law and my experience so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars J). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Just following up with you to make sure you received my original response. My screen indicates you have not yet read it, so I wanted to make sure you had received it. Just in case you have not, I have reposted it below for you: