Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I have personal loan what I have been paying roughly two

Customer Question
Hi, I have personal loan...
Hi, I have personal loan what I have been paying roughly two years what accorfing bank open amount is 590000 AED and monthly instalment is 23000AED, I am not anymore living in Dubai and my monthly income is now 14000 AED. I have bank blacklisted and they are threathenig with civil court and Interpol alert. I am trying to pay back but amount what is left from my salary is max 4000 dirham what I can pay monthly. What are my options here?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Dubai
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: You mean the bank
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They included the Sharjan based Trust dept collector Trustdc and person Junilo Boiser and bank is Mashreq, they also been costantly calling and sending SMS's to my cousin and they send email to my company press department and asset department
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
I have recently suffered acute myocardiac infarction with angioplasty and stent insertion (end of Sep/2016). This threahtning and harasment is impacting seriously my recovery and my medication is not able to support my BP in right level but is constantly now 140/110
12/26/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us about this matter?
Hi, my question is that how I can resolve the issue with Mashreq bank, debt left is 590 000AED and my income is currently only 14 000AED monthly, so it quite obvious that cannot pay the monthly instalment of 23 000AED. My company is relocating me regulary and as I am now black listed. I want collaborate with bank and keep paying the loan but until now only option given is the pay the whole loan as one hit or keep doing monthly instalments of 23000. Naturally my income will not stay this low for ever as my company relocates regulary. Next relocations should happen in first half 2017 either to US, Germany or Mexico. This black listing blocks to move to US. So my question is simply how to get agreement for that amount paid in monthly is not exceeding 25 % of my net income as that is maximum what I can pay in my current medical condition
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, this is a problem. If the bank sues you, you could be prevented from moving out of UAE and actually could lead to arrest for non-payment of the debt.
The only real option you have is sitting with a bank representative to negotiate a repayment plan. They have the upper hand here, not you. So this is a major obstacle for you. You cannot even file bankruptcy in UAE as their laws do not allow it.
I understand you are in a very bad situation, both medically and employment, but legally your situation in UAE is worse unless you can get someone you know to loan you the money to make the payoff and arrange for a payment plan with them instead of the banks, because if you do not do so and the bank will not take a repayment plan you can afford, it is not just the blacklist that will be your problem but jail time could be given and that is worse than a blacklist.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
I am not anymore in UAE, I was first transferred to South Africa and from there to Portugal. My income dropped from 50 000 AED to 14 000AED when I was transferred to Portugal. I was informed by Trusted DC not to come in Dubai

Thank you for your reply.

So if you are not in UAE, they can put out an arrest warrant for you, but it would not be enforced by interpol or any other country as most countries will not enforce a warrant for non-payment of a debt. If you go to any Arab country though, they will enforce the warrant.

Unfortunately, the only thing you can do at this point is negotiate with them or find someone to assist you by loaning you the money to pay them off.

The US will not keep you out of the US because of any warrant of debt by the UAE as the US does not recognize putting people in jail for non-payment of loans.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer