How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118141
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had 2 sets of full dentures made by my dentist whom I

Customer Question

I have had 2 sets of full dentures made by my dentist whom I have gone to for 21 years. The first set, made in June 2016, did not fit (along with other problems) and the dentist made a second set in Oct. 2016. The second set did not fit properly and many of the same problems that I experienced with the first set were not corrected. During a visit with the dentist 2 weeks after the delivery of the second set I expressed my disappointment that the second set of dentures were not acceptable. Without my asking he offered to refund my money and said that I could keep both sets of dentures he made for me. It has been 6 weeks since he made this promise to refund my nearly $4,000. He has not responded to my 2 written requests as to when I could expect to receive the refund. In the 2 letters I also stated that I would return the 2 sets of dentures to him as soon as I take delivery of a new set that is currently being made by a different dentist. I am a Senior Citizen, I live on a fixed income and now I am having to pay for a third set of dentures at great expense to me. The dentist's failure to refund my money has created a financial burden for me.
What can be done?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The first step is to file a complaint with the CA Attorney General consumer protection unit and also the Better Business Bureau. Then if the AG and BBB cannot resolve this issue, you can sue in small claims court without any attorney to recover your money. If you would like legal assistance and cannot afford a private attorney, go to the local legal aid office or your local senior citizen center, but quite honestly the cost of an attorney would be more than the money you are due, so small claims court is the best avenue to sue for breach of contract and negligent work on the dentures.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.