How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Medical Debt Settlement

Customer Question

Medical Debt Settlement
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a lawyer in Tennessee. I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

The first option would be to contact the medical provider(s) and see if they will either work out a payment plan (for the full or near full amount) OR accept a lump sum settlement of the debt (which can usually be settled for 60%-75%).

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

If the creditor/s will not work out a payment arrangement with you, then being sued, garnished, etc. is probably on the horizon. If you begin receiving notices that you're being sued, etc., you may have to consider filing bankruptcy to stop the creditors advances. If bankruptcy is filed, you can rid yourself of these debts under a chapter 7, or you can repay a portion based on your income in a chapter 13 filing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Medical bills are incurred by visitor with Visitor visa and he cannot afford to pay that amount
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Ok. Thanks.

As stated above, the best option is to try and work out some type of payment arrangement that he can afford to pay by the month. If that doesn't work, his best option likely is bankruptcy.