How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David Stewart Your Own Question
David Stewart
David Stewart, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 372
Experience:  Highly experienced Consumer Protection attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
David Stewart is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been on SSDI for 15 years and the SSA suddenly

Customer Question

I have been on SSDI for 15 years and the SSA suddenly terminated my benefits due to my failure to respond to a form letter. I immediately submitted a 21 page application for expedited reinstatement, which they have not approved and have not provided a reason. In addition, I now have a second disability which I thoroughly documented in the application. SSDI was my sole source of income and I am suddenly left without a means to buy food or pay my rent. What would be the fastet way to get my benifits resumed?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Did you submit this application in person at the local office of Social Security Administration?

Thank you for the information.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. I mailed it in. I mailed it to the local office and they were supposed to immediately forward it to the state office in Austin. However, they held it at the local office for Three months unaccountably. As they said, it was kept at the local office for some "unknown" reason. Now I may be facing up to three months without benefits, my sole source of income due to disability. Is there any way I can expidite the process, being that it was their error that has now caused an extreme financial hardship?Thank you for your time and response.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the information.

You should contact your U.S. Senators and U.S. Representative Office to expedite this matter. Otherwise, you would continue to get runaround from the SSA. Click here to find your Congressional Delegation and contact information.

Goodluck with your case,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't,t want to get into that level of bureaucracy and complexity for what may be a straightforward ißsue. Other disability law firms have referred me to legal aid. They tell me they only help those who are applying for benefits, not those whose benefits have been disrupted or potentially terminated. Would you be able to refer me to an attorney that would be able to assist me? Please forward any referrals in your answer. I live in Dallas, TX. Thank you.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the information.

Unfortunately, there is nothing any Attorney can do under the circumstances. Hence, my suggestion for you to contact your Congregational Delegation. There is nothing an Attorney can do to expedite your case under the circumstances that you have described. Only your Congressional Delegation can do so. However, I will opt out in case another Attorney has a different suggestion.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I appreciate your advice and referral to another attorney. I only think it wise to have a disability attorney involved in the process and available when the final decision is made. In all likelihood, it will be in my favor but in case there is a question or need to appeal, I would like legal representation. Please forward our online conversation to a colleague who might be able to refer me to a qualified local attorney. Thank you so much. Also, if I were to contact my U.S. Representative or Senate office, how should I present my problem and to whom? Thank you.
Expert:  David Stewart replied 8 months ago.

Hello: I would suggest you contact a SSDI attorney locally in Dallas, Texas. A local attorney that does this type of work exclusively may know how to press the matter along faster and to assist you in making sure you do not miss future filings that are required to maintain your benefits. I would suggest contacting this firm:

The reinstatement application should get processed faster now that it is not held up in the federal offices as you discussed in your write up but that is no guarantee and a locally attorney may have a way to expedite your application with the local office. Good luck with everything and I hope your benefits are reinstated very soon! All the best, David

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions