How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 117360
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Mexican timeshare "Vila Group"- enough said I

Customer Question

I have a Mexican timeshare "Vila Group"- enough said I guess. I asked them to take it back after paying $30,000 for it. They said OK but never sent me the paperwork to cancel. Then after a pause started sending me invoices again. I ignored them so fed up with dealing with them. Now have sent my file to a collections agency called Monterey financial out of Oceanside California. I googled them and seems like a really bad firm, lots of complaints. I am in Canada, what is my best course of action. Villa Group will not let me deal with them anymore.
JA: Have you thoroughly reviewed the contract?
Customer: No
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No I have not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think the amount in question might be around $3,400 US
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, once you agree to these timeshare contracts in Mexico they are hard to get out of without a Mexican lawyer. The collection agency in California cannot do anything to you in Canada, they would have to sue you in Canada for the money and if the only amount due is $3400 US it would cost them more to come to Canada to pursue you.
However, you still need to get out of the timeshare and there is a firm in Mexico we have seen customers use and they charge you only based on results obtained and that is the best bet to try to end the timeshare nightmare you find yourself in. The attorney that customers have reported using successfully can be emailed at***@******.*** and you can discuss getting the contract terminated with them. If you cannot reach them, you need to get a Mexican attorney at the same site used by other attorneys,, because even though the California collection agency will have a hard time trying to get at you, it is still something they could eventually come to Canada and sue over as you do have a contract with them and you need to end the timeshare contract legally and finally.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions