Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I have a bank account with Chase. In early October, I had my

Customer Question
Hi, I have a bank account...
I have a bank account with Chase. In early October, I had my purse stolen from my car which I reported to the police. Later that month, I had three checks cashed against my account totaling over $9K. I immediately went to a bank branch and completed the affidavit and fraud complaint per the banks guidance. I was told that it was not the banks fault because I had money in the account and they cashed them using stolen checks from another bank and account. Chase said I would have the money back in my account within 30 days. I even contacted the police department and called back the bank with the police report number. This all occurred on 10/22.
I called recently to ask about the status and was told that they had never received the fax. I contacted the branch where I completed the affidavit and they had to resend it. At this point, I am beyond upset and said I would be checking my legal options to which they directed me to their executive office. I was told that I would receive contact from them within 24 hours and nothing.
My question, is that I have frozen the account and moved all my money into external accounts. But I am frustrated because I have called numerous times to unfreeze the account and when I asked about the status this last week was the ONLY time I found out they were missing information. How do I go about getting money back?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/16/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Marc Esq USA, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Marc Esq USA
Marc Esq USA, Lawyer
Hello. My name is***** a licensed attorney and I will be happy to assist you with this problem. I can imagine how frustrating this is! First to victimized by the criminal who stole your purse; now to be stonewalled by the bank. Here's what I suggest.I could provide you with a lengthy explanation as to what legal action you could take. However, this would be cumbersome and would likely require you to retain an attorney. Instead, there is a quicker, easier way that won't cost you a penny.When Chase refers a customer complaint to the "Executive" offices, this does not mean your issue is being reviewed by actual executives at Chase headquarters or anything like that. Rather, it simply means they are escalating the issue to a higher level within customer service - one that is more likely to have the authority to resolve issues such as this.I'm not surprised they haven't gotten back to you within 24 hours. They usually do. But don't lose hope, as I would expect them to contact you quite soon. MEANWHILE, and in the event they do not get back to you, I strongly recommend that you file an online complaint with the Better Business Bureau at www.bbb.org. I have saved several clients a lot of legal fees that they otherwise would have had to pay me by pointing them in this direction. When you file the complaint, you will be asked what resolution you want. You will of course state that you want your account and funds restored. The BBB will immediately forward the complaint to Chase. I have found that Chase is quite responsive to such complaints, and you can expect Chase to call you directly to resolve it. Truly - in situations involving account disputes with Chase, the BBB is quite effective.As a lawyer, I would love to instruct you to commence legal action in the form of a lawsuit or a petition for a temporary restraining order or other remedies. But my experience has shown that Chase, being a monolithic organization, often lets things slip through the cracks (like your affidavit), but they are also well organized when it comes to resolving problems for those who are persistent.I wish you a speedy resolution and end to your frustration! And I hope my answer has helped you to better understand your issues and options. If so, please be sure to rate my answer, since that is the only way I can receive credit.Kind regards,
Marc
Marc Esq USA
Marc Esq USA
Marc Esq USA, Lawyer