How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 56482
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wrote a check in the amount of $1200 for auto repair. The

Customer Question

I wrote a check in the amount of $1200 for auto repair. The check came back insufficient funds. Initially the company through their Attorney agreed that I could pay $100 per month until debt was satisfied. I made the first payment on time. I few days went past the due date for next payment and I received a letter that I was going to be sued in court. I attempted to reach out to the Attorney and explain that I had every intention to continue making payments and would not be late again, but he chose to proceed with court hearing. I was found in default and ordered to make payment. Now I just received a letter from Attorney requesting I attend a deposition. I just want to make arrangements to pay this money back. This is my first time having something like this happen. What should I do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm sorry this is Texas, court is in Austin, Tx
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't understand the question. I stated I already lost the case and was ordered to pay back the money. I don't know if the Attorney filed anything other than I received this letter requesting I attend a deposition. The letter came directly from his office, not the State Attorney nor Judge.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 months ago.

Contact the lawyer and work out a settlement. The lawyer will not want to incur costs of a deposition nor should his client over this balance. a settlement payment plan is common and should happen initially by calling and discussing terms, and then having the lawyer send an agreement for you to review. Kindly rate the answer 5 stars.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions