Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

27 years ago, I enrolled at Business Institute in Chicago

Customer Question

27 years ago, I enrolled at Taylor Business Institute in Chicago for an electronics certificate class. I signed two notes...one for $4000, and the other for just over $2000. These were to be completed buy the school and bank. One class....not a degree program. after the first 2 months, we let out for Christmas break...to return in Jan. to resume. When myself and other students returned, the school had no instructor for us. We came back day after day until they told us to wait until we heard from them. I never heard anything and within 2 months, I moved back to Michigan. I returned in 2001 and addressed the school. They took my name, SS#, and phone #. They never got back to me. This went on for years....no response. Meanwhile, AES/PHEAA was trying to get me to pay. I told them what happened over and over...never a response...but to answer with "if you are having problems paying, there may be help"...or something like that. I finally got someone to search with an answer....they asked me if I had the right school. They told me they had no information on me...they had no help for me and acted like they really didn't want to get involved....meanwhile, AES/PHEAA is moving right alone....and I found that they are not just the loan servers, the own the loan. There is so much to this...like the original lender became imactive 3months after the second distribution of the loan...3 months after the close the class. AES said the school did not close...and that was true, but the only class I was taking for my certificate did. I've looked all over the country it seems...consumer lawyers only want to address the mess they have made with my credit...they care nothing of the fact that these people won't discharge this loan...they really don't have proof of debt( one of the promissory notes is missing information) and they want me to pay about $14,000 to date for my two months of class after being turned away. No paper trail on this at all. Can you point me in the right direction?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes...a consumer lawyer has them in court for double reporting on my credit report...I didn't know that was all they wanted to do.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Too much to type at this time...but there is more
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You need to file complaint with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and let the agency assist you getting this loan discharged. You cannot be held responsible for the loan when the school did not offer the class that it was supposed to offer. You cannot pay for education that you did not receive.

Goodluck with your case,