Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I am wanting to file suit against a pawnbroker in Kansas.

Customer Question

I am wanting to file suit against a pawnbroker in Kansas. Under the Kansas consumer protection act.
I believe most or all pawn brokers in Kansas are taking advantage of the system.
My question is, is it illegal to go to different pawnbrokers and have them violate the law/deceptive acts then file suit? Or would they not be being deseptive if I know they are breaking the law/breaching the agreement on the pawn contract?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No it is not illegal for you to go to different pawn brokers and make legitimate transactions with them and then if they violate the laws to file suit against them for violation of the law and for unfair and deceptive practices under the Consumer Protection Act. As long as you are engaging in legal transactions with them, it is not your fault if they are violating the laws and you can sue them for doing so.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If they are violating state and city ordinances think that would constitute a deseptive act?
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, it would constitute an unfair and deceptive practice for them to violate state and local laws.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you think pawnbrokers are subject to Kansas consumer protectio laws. As a "supplier" as referef to in the KCPA
From my reading they would, because their really not a financial institution.
Can I request you specifically for future questions?
Thank you for your reply.
They are a provider of services to the consumer, so that is what you are basing your claims on.
Yes, you can request me in the future by typing "For Law Educator Only" in your question subject line.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You think if I am targeting pawnbrokers would my case still have basis, and could be awarded civil penalties?
Thank you for your reply.
If you are doing business with them and they are violating the law, you are entitled to civil damages.