How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 42815
Experience:  30 years as Texas lawyer representing consumers
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We recently leased 2 vehicles through a local dealership. We

Customer Question

We recently leased 2 vehicles through a local dealership. We were recently told through a neighbor that another neighbor (who has problems minding their own) called a 'friend' he had at the same dealership and was given our financial information. Our lease payments for both vehicles and our down payment amount are the 2 things we know for certain was given. We do not know if other financial information was given to them including our W2 info or social numbers, etc....
Should we or can we file a lawsuit for our privacy not only being violated but repeated to other people once the info was obtained from dealership?
Please help, we are not very happy.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Yes you can sue the dealership and anyone involved for invasion of your financial privacy.This was wrong and the dealership has liability here clearly.You can sue seeking damages, mental anguish and legal fees here.

The employees should be terminated for such a breach of your personal privacy.I hope you will pursue this matter through a demand letter and lawsuit if unresolved. I hope you will seek some justice for all the harm you have been caused.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Lawyer Referral Service—(800)(###) ###-####/p>

The State Bar of Michigan Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) is designed to assist members of the public who want to hire an attorney and can afford to pay for legal services.

If you have a legal problem and cannot afford to hire an attorney, please contact your local legal aid office. For your convenience, the following is a link to the legal assistance programs and services found on the State Bar of Michigan's website: Find Legal Aid Aid Programs in Your County.

    How the Lawyer Referral Service Works [Terms of the LRIS]

    • You may dial(###) ###-####between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to speak with a lawyer referral representative or submit an online referral request.
    • When you call the LRIS, you will be asked to provide your name and address, the general nature of your concern, and the county in which you need assistance. A lawyer referral representative will give you the name and telephone number of one attorney (only 1 referral will be provided per call or request) who is a LRIS panel member. Referrals are made to panel members on an impartial, rotation basis.
    • When you contact the attorney, please state that you received a referral from the State Bar of Michigan. The cost of your initial 30-minute consultation with a LRIS panel member will be no more than $20.00. Any and all fees beyond the initial 30-minute consultation (including, but not limited to, fee agreements for representation) must be negotiated with the attorney.

    Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

    Michigan recognizes the common law tort for invasion of privacy, which provides that one who invades the right of privacy of another is subject to liability for the resulting harm to the interests of the other person.

    Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

    I wish you the best.If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.