Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
16823287

I purchased a trailer in a trailer park in Tampa, FL - I had

Customer Question

I purchased a trailer in a trailer park in Tampa, FL - I had to pass a background check in order to be approved by the mobile home park to purchase the trailer. I pay the lot rent. The manager refuses to give me the owner of the trailor park's contact info and says I can not let anyone live in my trailer that doesn't pass a background. If I own the trailer and only pay lot rent to the mobile home park can they tell me who can and cannot live in my trailer and do I have a right to know the owner of the trailer park's info?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?
Customer: Florida = and it is a 1966 trailer - the park is very old and not well kept
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: right now we are in the process of totally renovatating this trailer from head to toe and no one is living in it but was wanting to allow my niece and her baby to live there once we have it completed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my niece has a drug felony and just completed a year long drug program and was re-united with her 1 yr old son. SHe has came along way and has been clean for over a year now but can't get a break in regards ***** ***** which is why we purchased this trailer and were going to totally furnish it for her and help her get going. She has a full time job and recommendations from the drug program but nothing seems to matter
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for reviewing this - I will wait for your response.
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

If you look at the laws here at:

723.059 Rights of purchaser.—

and

at 723.061 Eviction; grounds, proceedings.—

You will see that if park rules and regulation require tenants to not have a felony on their record, then the tenant can be evicted.

You may want to look up the real estate deed records on this plot of land to find the owner's name; but yes, if the owner has instructed the manager or management company to not disclose the owner's identity, then the manager must comply with such request from owner.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are paying for a professional and honest answer.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The mobile home park does not manage the tenants who live in the mobile homes all mobile homes are owned by someone the trailer park only requires the lot rent from the owner of the trailer the trailer park does not manage nor rent trailers because they do not manage any tenets in my trailer can they specify who I can and cannot rent two or require a background check from anyone I've rent to if I in fact already passed the background check in order to own a trailer on their lot
Expert:  Maverick replied 9 months ago.

Q. can they specify who I can and cannot rent two or require a background check from anyone I've rent to if I in fact already passed the background check in order to own a trailer on their lot?

Yes, if you read the laws that I cited, they state in part:

(1) A mobile home park owner may evict a mobile home owner, a mobile home tenant, a mobile home occupant, or a mobile home only on one or more of the following grounds:

(a) Nonpayment of the lot rental amount. If a mobile home owner or tenant, whichever is responsible, fails to pay the lot rental amount when due and if the default continues for 5 days after delivery of a written demand by the mobile home park owner for payment of the lot rental amount, the park owner may terminate the tenancy. However, if the mobile home owner or tenant, whichever is responsible, pays the lot rental amount due, including any late charges, court costs, and attorney’s fees, the court may, for good cause, deny the order of eviction, if such nonpayment has not occurred more than twice.

(b) Conviction of a violation of a federal or state law or local ordinance, if the violation is detrimental to the health, safety, or welfare of other residents of the mobile home park. The mobile home owner or mobile home tenant must vacate the premises within 7 days after the date the notice to vacate is delivered. This paragraph constitutes grounds to deny an initial tenancy of a purchaser of a home under paragraph (e) or to evict an unapproved occupant of a home.

(c) Violation of a park rule or regulation, the rental agreement, or this chapter.

So if the park rules require a background check on all occupants and that the occupants not have any felony convictions, then it is possible that your niece could be excluded or evicted.