Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

How do I get a cosigner off of a title on a vehicle?

Customer Question

Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Will the other person voluntarily sign over the title to you solely?

.

What about if you bought them out?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do not think he will sign off. Got a restraining order after the repo which cost me $2,370. He is a loose canon and know he wanted $5,000.00 to sign off and then stated to my once attorney all the 2 years of payments included. I have been pay without possession for now going on 5 months. Never had possession with asking to use it. He did fraud on a business credit card I had. Charged child support and cash advances in the amount of around $7,000.00. I was not going to pay on something I did not have possession of!

Ok, if he wont sign off and is asking for a ridiculous amount, you can file a lawsuit against him called a "partition action" where the judge orders the car sold at public auction to the highest bidder. Then you can just bid up to the amount that is owed on the vehicle to buy him out and be the sole person on the title.

.

But unfortunately, that is the only way to force him off if he won't agree to some reasonable amount. However if you have the vehicle, and he has nothing, I would think that he might agree to some thing reasonable to give up his interest since he doesn't have the vehicle any longer.

.

.

thanks