Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

If a judgement lien was placed on a person name that is my

Customer Question

If a judgement lien was placed on a person name that is my name but not the right person and it is affecting my financial capability to get a HELOC should i hire an attorney to help remove the lien from me?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Has the lien attached to your property?

.

Have you demanded that the creditor file a formal release of the lien with the land records office?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here is the attached Lien Document. The Creditor said that is was attached to the person.
I have not asked the creditor to send a formal release of the lien with the land records office. The creditor stated that the
lien was not on my property

Ok, that is a child support judgment. So if you aren't the person named, then you can file a formal dispute immediately with all 3 credit agencies, TransUnion, Equifax and Experian, and request that they remove that from your credit report.

.

But it looks like this was recorded in the county clerk's office, so it would normally attach to any real estate in your name automatically.

.

So you need to check with your lender to see if it is showing up as being a lien on your property. If it is, you can contact the creditor and tell them that if they don't file a lien release, you will sue them in a quiet title action to dissolve the lien and hold them liable for the costs since this is an improper lien.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Barrister,Thank you for all your information thus far. It does sound like I could use a Lawyer as right now I do not have the time
to invest in it, as I have some elderly parents that devote my time currently. Can you point me or recommend a Lawyer
that can pursue this for me?Armando

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to represent customers from the site or recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. However, these are a couple sites that we attorneys actually use if we need foreign counsel in a state where we aren't licensed. Further, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews. You would just need a real estate attorney to check your title to see if there is a lien and then threaten them with a lawsuit if they don't release it if there is.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided as that is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much