Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

We've had our vehicle in to repair noisy/squeaking/squeling

Customer Question

We've had our vehicle in to repair noisy/squeaking/squeling brakes on 5 separate occasions. The vehicle is 12 months old and has 12,000 miles. Is this something covered by the Lemon Law?
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Iowa
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: We have on one occasion. Otherwise we've been in constant contact with the dealership we bought it from.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that about covers it
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to now send the manufacturer a letter marked FINAL OPPORTUNITY TO CURE and you need to inform them that failure to do so will cause you to invoke the IA lemon law and seek to return the vehicle for replacement or full refund. In your demand you need to explain that the defect substantially impairs a motor vehicle if the nonconformity renders the motor vehicle unfit, unreliable, or unsafe for warranted or ordinary use. If they fail to take action to cure this in 30 days from your letter, your next step is returning it to the dealer and demand a refund or replacement. If they refuse, then you need to contact the IA Attorney General consumer protection unit and they will assist in trying to resolve the dispute, which most times they can do. If the AG cannot resolve the issue, then you can sue them under the lemon law and seek refund or replacement as your damages.