How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118128
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Florida, Duval County, ...steps to get a Court Order

Customer Question

Florida, Duval County, ...steps to get a Court Order declaration of Judgement showing I am the owner of a trailer and telling the FDHS to issue a VIN or TIN ? I bought an old salvage trailer private party with only a detailed bill of sale. DMV says I need a court order and so the the FDHS for a VIN/TIN and ownership.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?
Customer: Travel trailer 1960s tow behind.
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: No clue who or where it was originally manufactured. Have post pictures on a vintage trailer Fb page to get help identifying. FDHS officer inspected it today and could not identify or find a TIN.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I know what I need to file, and what to ask for FDHS was pretty specific, My struggle in beginning the document is who are the parties, me and FDHS, the DMV, state of Florida, et al.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It does not matter the county (not all counties put these forms as easily accessible online), the forms are the same and the process is the same. You need to file a Petition for Declaratory Judgment asking the court to issue an order that you are the owner of the vehicle. Here is a sample packet with instructions and forms:
Once you obtain the order of declaratory relief getting ownership of the vehicle, you can then bring that to the FDHS and they will issue a vehicle ID number on the trailer and will give you the documents necessary to obtain the plate.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As I have a pretty detailed bill of sale of the trailer who do I list as the defendant; the State of Florida, or Florida Department of Highway Safety, and/or the Department of Motor vehicles ?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You have to list the last known owner of the vehicle who is listed with the DMV and you have to serve them with a copy of the suit.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.