Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

Problem statement: Sony KDL-70R550A defective LCD panel, no

Customer Question
replacement parts available According to various...
Problem statement: Sony KDL-70R550A defective LCD panel, no replacement parts available
According to various locations on Sony customer service websites, you are to offer replacement parts for seven years after model discontinuation. "Sony's long-standing support policy of manufacturing and providing replacement parts for equipment for seven years after model discontinuation allows you to keep these products active for many years, thereby enhancing return on investment." reference: https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/services.servicesprograms.bbsccms-services-servicesprograms-discontinu...
This replacement part policy is also compliant with many state consumer affair laws such as California Civil Code, Sec. 1793.03, which states:
"(b) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least seven years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the seven-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product." Business and Professions Code, Sec. 9801(h)-(k) states, "(h) "Electronic set" includes, but is not limited to, any television, radio, audio or video recorder or playback equipment, video camera, video game, video monitor, computer system, photocopier, or facsimile machine normally used or sold for personal, family, household, or home office use
In addition to the offer of replacement parts for seven years after model discontinuation, there is also a statue of limitations for a warranty issue. State statutes of limitation for breach of either an express or an implied warranty are generally four years from date of purchase. This means that buyers have four years in which to discover and seek a remedy for problems that were present in the product at the time it was sold. This doesn't mean that the product must last for four years. It means only that the product must be of normal durability, considering its nature and price.
The internet is flourish with similar issues on this product. What are my options?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
10/20/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Your clearest option on this appears to be to file a small claims suit for breach of contract or warranty. You may also need to add a claim for equitable estoppel since Sony could argue that this policy statement is not part of its contract with an IN consumer. Equitable estoppel would be a bar to Sony asserting a legal defense that is contrary or inconsistent with its prior words, action or conduct.

Here is a link that may help you get started.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer