How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118305
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a salvage yard here in South Bend Indiana and sold a

Customer Question

I own a salvage yard here in South Bend Indiana and sold a front end assembly for a 2015 Chrysler 200 to a Auto Shop in Michigan for $2800. They put a stop payment on the check and are not returning my calls. What are my steps to recovering our money?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: ok
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to send them a written demand certified mail return receipt telling them they have 10 days to make good on the check and if they refuse you will report them to the DA for criminal prosecution and the amount of the check makes it a felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison.
Then if they refuse to make good on the check, you take proof of the letter to the DA and file a complaint and let them pursue the buyer.
Also, in addition to criminal prosecution, you can file civil suit for the money due, plus any bank fees plus up to $500 in damages.
You can do both things at the same time.