How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJLLAW Your Own Question
KJLLAW, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 1359
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
KJLLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 60 year old grandmother and my daughter has racked up

Customer Question

Good Morning,
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I am a 60 year old grandmother and my daughter has racked up over $15,000 in loans/credit card payments and has not paid these bills since July. I am receiving calls from the credit card payment at home and at work and she has now refused to pay which is currently affecting my credit. I need assistance is meeting with someone tomorrow to file a law suit.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: the credit card company yes. Of course, they want their payment.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: she acknowledges she owe the money but refuse to make payment.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 9 months ago.

good morning. Did you cosign the credit cards? Are they jointly held? What state are you located?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I got the credit card for my daughter, as she did not sign the application, however, I never activated my card, as she has been the one who racked up the charges and now don't want to pay. We live in Virginia.
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Since the credit card was in your name, even though she used it and you didn’t even activate it, her use of the card is legally considered activation of the account. They can still come after you as the account holder. However, after 6 months of non-payment, most credit card companies will "charge off" debt. After that it could go to a debt collector or debt buyer. You can try to negotiate a reduced payoff amount with either the creditor or the collector, but once it is charge off usually the original creditor won't deal with you any longer. Legally, it can be reported on your credit report because you are the account holder. If they want a judgment, they first have to sue you, then they have to win the lawsuit and get a judgement, then they have to collect on the judgment. Remember, just don't ignore any lawsuit papers/summons/notices, answer them in court to preserve your rights.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

Expert:  KJLLAW replied 9 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions