Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I paid for two different auto insurances by mistake (I

Customer Question

I paid for two different auto insurances by mistake (I purchased a second auto insurance and forgot to cancel the first auto insurance (old insurance)). I provided evidence of the new auto insurance to the first (old) auto insurance, but the first (old) auto insurance is refusing to reimburse me. Is it legal for the first (old) auto insurance to keep my money? I should mention that it took 8 months for me to realize that I was paying on two separate insurance policies for the same car. Also, the insurance was for a car in Illinois. Thanks.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Is it legal for the first (old) auto insurance to keep my money? I should mention that it took 8 months for me to realize that I was paying on two separate insurance policies for the same car. Also, the insurance was for a car in Illinois. Thanks.

Response: No, it is not legal. Had it been that you had an accident during this period, only one insurance company who had covered your claim. You need to file complaint against the insurer with IL Department of Insurance. Click here to file your complaint.

Goodluck with your case,