Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

My husband just purchased a supposedly new car with 347

Customer Question
Hello, My husband just purchased...
Hello, My husband just purchased a supposedly new car with 347 miles on it, but was transferred from another out of state dealer. The purchase was made on Sept 23rd. The second day, the car died while driving it. Not just once, three times. The dealer took it in and thought they fixed the problem according to the code the computer diagnosed. After we picked it up, the car's engine died three more times. Not it has been in the dealer's shop since Oct 3rd. The technician found two wires pinched by a PCH box, Ford is asking the technician to run a 15 wire diagnostic test now. Our car while being worked on, is devaluing and will be difficult to resell in the future. What can we do? Thanks! Katie
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Fort Collins, CO
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: The dealer did and had the technician run a 15-point test on each wire or circuit.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will it cost me for this information?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
10/11/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the law, the manufacturer has to make necessary repairs on the vehicle, that is all they are bound to do. Under the CO lemon laws, if they cannot make proper repair in 3-4 (reasonable) attempts, then you can give last notice to the manufacturer and they have to replace the vehicle or refund your money. While you say that the car is devaluing while it is in for repairs, unfortunately your car was devaluing the minute you drove it off the lot and that is not something you have a legal recourse over. Your recourse is only if they cannot repair the vehicle and if the manufacturer cannot repair the vehicle, then the laws protect you under the Warranty Act and the CO Lemon Laws to entitle you to seek a refund or replacement of the vehicle.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer