Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I am a 57 year old African-American. Yesterday I went with

Customer Question
I am a 57...
I am a 57 year old African-American. Yesterday I went with my sister to a car dealership. Initially the finance manager tried to charge my sister the sticker price for the car. I found the car on the internet at the sale price, which was approximately $3,000 less. Finance manager said the car came with a $400 dealer incentive, then took it back claiming that the manufacturer would not give it to people who could not be financed directly by them. He also gave my sister two different credit scores and said he had to charge an interest rate of 20%. When I interjected and told him to show her the document with all of her information because it sounded like usury, he left in a huff. He came back with a single piece of paper and held it in front of my sister. My sister attempted to take the paper from his hand to read it but he would not release it. When she asked why, he stated "Because I don't trust you to return it." As he was speaking, my sister still had her hand on a corner of the paper when he suddenly snatched it back causing it to tear at the corner where my sister was holding it. The finance manager then shouted at us "get out, get out! I'm not going to help you and don't come back!" This experience has left both of us emotionally scared because I know nothing wrong was done on our part. I feel like the finance manager didn't want his document read for the funny business he was doing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/10/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: KnowYourRights, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I am sorry to hear about what you went through. Can you please share with me what your question is?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
See howI am a 57 year old African-American. Yesterday I went with my sister to a car dealership. Initially the finance manager tried to charge my sister the sticker price for the car. I found the car on the internet at the sale price, which was approximately $3,000 less. Finance manager said the car camewith a $400 dealer incentive, then took it back claiming that the manufacturer would not give it to people who could not be financed directly by them. He also gave my sister two different credit scores and said he had to charge an interest rate of 20%. When I interjected and told him to show her the document with all of her information because it sounded like usury, he left in a huff. He came back with a single piece of paper and held it in front of my sister. My sister attempted to take the paper from his hand to read it but he would not release it. When she asked why, he stated "Because I don't trust you to return it." As he was speaking, my sister still had her hand on a corner of the paper when he suddenly snatched it back causing it to tear at the corner where my sister was holding it. The finance manager then shouted at us "get out, get out! I'm not going to help you and don't come back!" This experience has left both of us emotionally scared because I know nothing wrong was done on our part. I feel like the finance manager didn't want his document read for the funny business he was doing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thank you and I did read and review what you originally posted. I am trying to find out the relief you seek or what I can answer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is the civil recourse for violating a consumer right to disclosure regarding the credit score used to computer cost when more than one is run? Can a car dealership withhold a document that has his/her personal information when a request to review it is stated. Rude behavior is one thing, discrimination is another. We experienced overt racism while trying to execute a transaction.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, if they were using her credit against her to charge her a higher rate of interest she does have a right to request and see a copy of her credit report and score, which she initially asked them to pull for her. There is nothing wrong or illegal with the dealer trying to sell her a car at sticker price and make money but when it comes to finances and credit she has rights as a consumer. As such she can report them to the federal trade comisssion and they can investigate the dealer and their illegal practices.
KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights, Lawyer